Jesus replied, "You do not realize now what I am doing, but later you will understand." John 13:7

Friday, August 13, 2010

On Friends & Life

First day of eighth grade, I remember I was so nervous. I knew pretty much next to nobody.
I had taken the big leap of going from small private school life for 13 years to crazy public school life.
And eighth grade? That had to be one of the most awkward grades, no one knew who or what they wanted to be. This is when we all went through the weirdest stages, trying to figure out life. All racing the clock before we started high school.
I met my soon to be four best friends during high school in eighth grade. We all were outcasts in some sort of way, coming from different backgrounds, different places but somehow we found each other. We didn't know it at the time but our lives would stay connected for about five more years.

People change though. I certainly did.
High school proved to be a challenge, but yet a grand adventure. Oh I certainly had those terrible deep down depressing moments, feeling as if my life was just failing, always worrying about grades, whether I would ever find a guy, those sort of things.
But through it all, I had my four best friends that I am so thankful God blessed me with. We were always there for each other. We sometimes would bounce back and forth from being more close to one than the other each year but through it all we all stayed together. I don't think I would have gotten through high school as easy as I did or enjoyed it as much without those four.

Times change though, especially when you go off on your own, making new and different decisions. You always think that you'll be together forever but sometimes it just isn't meant to be. All four of us, surprisingly, went to the same college. I am not being sarcastic because you've got to admit, for four radically different people to all go to the same college is pretty surprising. But we all were different, even after being friends for five years and recognized that the differences outweighed the similarities and we were drifting apart. It's one of those things you wish you could stop and fix but deep down you know it's for the best.

I've met so many new people in college and grown close to quite a few of them. I've even grown closer to older friends who I didn't talk to as much in high school. Each person that comes into your life molds and shapes you in a way. You may not recognize it then but they do influence and rub off on you. And you realize they are one of the main things that get you through each day in this crazy life.

"Who you choose to be around you, let's you know who you are" -Han, Tokyo Drift

Life is never set in stone and who knows what is waiting as you turn the next corner.
But don't rush through it too fast, you may just crash into a fence ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment